Flexlock Ultra Sand
For concrete paving stones & natural stones, for joints up to 2" (5 cm)
setting time: 1 hour above 32°F (0°C)
Setting time: 24 hours above 32°F (0°C)
IMPORTANT INSTALLATION NOTES
- Always refer to the latest FLEXLOCK ULTRA SAND Technical Data Sheet (TDS) at Flex-lock.com before installing FLEXLOCK ULTRA SAND.
- Pavers and slabs must be installed according to ICPI Tech Spec #2 traditional application (www.icpi.org) before FLEXLOCK ULTRA SAND installation. For Overlays ICPI recommends 2″ (5 cm) diameter drainage holes spaced approximately 10 ft (3 m) apart and at the lowest elevations in the slab. Holes should be filled with #8 stone and covered with a 1 foot x 1 foot (30 cm x 30 cm) patch of Gator Fabric GF4.4. Drilled holes should allow any water entering the bedding layer to freely flow out.
- Pavers’ sides and top surfaces must be completely dry. Do not apply if the paver surface is damp or wet. The damp or wet surface will cause FLEXLOCK ULTRA SAND to prematurely activate and will lead to the polymers sticking on the paver surface.
- Do not apply if the paver joints are damp or wet. This will prevent the FLEXLOCK ULTRA SAND from properly sliding into the joints and obtaining very densely packed joints, which is critical to the products performance.
- Temperature must be above 32°F (0°C) with dry conditions (no rain for at least 1 hour) after installing FLEXLOCK ULTRA SAND in a traditional application and (no rain for at least 24 hours) in overlay application.
- For all paver surfaces, and particularly around in-ground pools there must be a slope of 1/8 inch (3 mm) per linear foot away from the edge of the pool, or structures to ensure optimal performance of the FLEXLOCK ULTRA SAND.
- For the pool coping units it is mandatory to use mortar in the joints. For the rest of the paver installation around the pool, you can use FLEXLOCK ULTRA SAND.
- Do not sweep FLEXLOCK ULTRA SAND over asphalt.
- FLEXLOCK ULTRA SAND level, must be at least 1/8 inch (3 mm) below top of paver’s surface or 1/8 inch (3 mm) below the chamfer or erosion may occur. The filled and cured polymeric sand joints should never be in direct contact with foot traffic or tires.
- For textured or pre-finished surfaces, we recommend to remove all the sand from the paver or slab surface prior to using the plate or roller compactor.
CROSS-SECTIONS REPRESENTS THE HEIGHT OF POLYMERIC SAND FOUND IN THE JOINTS
Maximum joint width for overlays: 2″ (5 cm)
POLYMERIC SAND REQUIREMENTS
Minimum joint width: 1/8″ (3 mm)
Maximum joint width: 2″ (5 cm)
Maximum overlay joint width: 2″ (5 cm)
Minimum joint depth: 1 1/2″ (38 mm)
REQUIRED SUB-SURFACE PREPARATION AND FOUNDATION OPTIONS
FOR OVERLAY APPLICATIONS
- Remove all loose and fragile concrete.
- Cover bottom and side of the excavated area with a Gator Fabric GF4.4, refill with crushed stone and compact it.
(For a new paver surface)
STEPS 1 & 2
STEPS 3 & 4
IMPORTANT WATER ACTIVATION NOTES
- Work in manageable sections, ideally about 100 sq. ft. (10 sq. m.) at a time, depending on temperature.
- Do not allow FLEXLOCK ULTRA SAND to wash out of joint.
- Never allow paved surface to dry out during the water activation phase.
- Watering must be started at the lowest point of the paved surface.
- Use a watering gun connected to a hose. Setting should be set to shower.
The water used in steps 7 to 9 will activate a bonding action as well as condensing FLEXLOCK ULTRA SAND in the joints. It is important to water the FLEXLOCK ULTRA SAND a total of 3 times, as per steps 7, 8 and 9. Too little water will not properly activate the FLEXLOCK ULTRA SAND and will reduce the final performance. If steps 7 to 10 are not done properly, a white haze may appear on paver surface after installation. This is due to excess FLEXLOCK ULTRA SAND residue left on paver surfaces. This haze will dissipate over time, or it could be removed by using Gator Clean Efflorescence Cleaner.
THE PARTIES AGREE THAT REFUND OF THE PURCHASE PRICE AS STATED IS THE ONLY OBLIGATION OF THE MANUFACTURER. IN ALL EVENTS, THE MANUFACTURER SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY OTHER DAMAGES OR COSTS WHATSOEVER, (INCLUDING REMOVAL OR REINSTALLATION OF SAND OR PAVERS) DIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE MANUFACTURER EXCLUDES ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF QUALITY, MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR PURPOSE. ALLIANCE DESIGNER PRODUCTS INC. excludes any responsibility whatsoever for the presence of moss, mold, mildew, or similar factors that may occur on the product after its installation. The presence of moss, mold or mildew is caused by the particular on-site conditions, including excess moisture, shade, absence of ventilation, inadequate cleaning or maintenance, presence of soil or other organic debris left on the product after installation. ALLIANCE DESIGNER PRODUCTS INC. excludes any responsibility for use of FLEXLOCK ULTRA for any installation not installed to manufacturer’s specifications and ICPI Tech Spec #2.
Please note that when the product is used for other purposes (Mixed-use, commercial, institutional or other), the above terms apply except that the applicable period is reduced to 1 year from purchase. ALLIANCE DESIGNER PRODUCTS INC. excludes any responsibility for use of any Gator Polymeric Sand for any installation not installed to manufacturer’s specifications and ICPI Tech Spec #2.