Gator Tile System
Innovative and durable 7 components system
for outdoor porcelain tile installation
THE 7 COMPONENTS OF THE SYSTEM
Prevents migration of the bedding sand or chip stone into the native soil.
Engineered to replace 6" (15 cm) of compacted crushed stone.
GATOR BASE is an evolution of foundation technology, which saves you time, labor and money. It is ideal for Porcelain tile applications such as: patios, pool decks and walkways. Allowing you to clearly define your spaces and highlight the focal points of the dream staycation area. GATOR BASE is easy to install. A single GATOR BASE panel is equivalent to 130 kg (288 lb) of crushed stone, saving you a minimum of 6″ (15 cm) of additional excavation.
Provides uniform spacing and stability to the Gator Tile system.
Ensures mechanical binding and structural integrity of the system.
The safety belt that will provide a strong lateral support.
The mechanical bond of the 2 main components on any Gator Base install.
The only polymeric jointing sand for outdoor porcelain tile.
STEP 1 • Excavation of the new Gator Tile area
Excavate the new Gator Tile area. The depth required is calculated by adding Porcelain Tile height, Gator Base, Gator Spacer, bedding sand, plus any soft organic material that has to be removed. Excavate the perimeter an extra 6″ (15 cm) wider on all sides than the tile area required.
STEP 3 • Addition of Gator Fabric GF 4.4 (geotextile), levelling and compacted bedding sand
- Lay down a Gator Fabric GF4.4 and cover the entire excavated area.
- Spread an even layer of sand to a depth of maximum 3/4″ (19 mm) • The levelling and compacting of the bedding sand will be the last step prior to installing the Gator Base.
- Water the sand prior to using a hand compactor and/or plate compactor, compact the 3/4″ (19 mm) of bedding sand until you obtain a final height of 1/2″ (13 mm) of compacted bedding sand, that should reflect the final tiled surface.
- C-33 sand or ASTM No. 9 stone can be used as bedding material.
STEP 5 • Installation of Porcelain tile and Gator Spacer
Gator Spacers should receive a generous amount of Alliance polyurethane XP glue on each quadrant. Install the Porcelain Tile on the Gator Spacer, apply pressure or tap the tiles with a rubber mallet at all corners. This will ensure that the tiles are adhering to the Gator Spacer. The Gator Spacer will be left in the tile installation permanently, ensuring proper alignment and stability of your project for years to come.
Gator Tile Sand Installation Steps
STEP 7 • Sweeping, compacting and blowing of the Gator tile Sand (When using the GATOR tile sand, the porcelain tiles must be installed on a Gator Base foundation, using the Gator Tile System.)
- When emptying the bag of Gator Tile Sand, spread it onto the dry, tiled surface. • When sweeping the Gator Tile Sand, spread it over a small area before moving onto the next, while making sure to fill in the joints.
- It is now time to compact the sand into the joints using a rubber mallet. Do not use a plate compactor. Repeat filling and compacting of the tile joints. Finally, sweep the surface with a fine bristle broom and remove all excess sand. • Ensure the Gator Tile Sand is 1/8″ (3 mm) lower than the tile chamfers or erosion may occur. The filled and cured polymeric sand joints should never be in direct contact with foot traffic.
- Finally, use a blower to blow off all sand residue laying on the tile surface.
WATER ACTIVATION (IMPORTANT NOTES)
- Work in manageable sections, ideally about 100 sq. ft. at a time, depending on temperature.
- Do not allow Gator Tile Sand to wash out of joint.
- Never allow tiled surface to dry out during the water activation phase.
- Watering must be started at the lowest point of the tiled surface.
- Use a watering gun connected to a hose. Setting should be set to shower.
Moss: Gator Tile Sand will not cause nor prevent moss, mold or mildew. Moss, mold and mildew are caused by certain on-site conditions including excess moisture, shade, absence of ventilation, inadequate cleaning or maintenance, presence of soil or other organic debris left on the product.
STEP 8 • Gator Tile Sand water activation steps
- Shower water on a specific area of 100 sq. ft., wait no longer than 2 to 3 minutes.
- Shower and rinse simultaneously on a section of approximately 100 sq. ft. so as to eliminate any Gator Tile Sand residue left on the tiles.Wait no longer than 2 to 3 minutes.
- Shower and rinse simultaneously, so as to eliminate any Gator Tile Sand residue. Any residue should go directly into the tiled joints. However, stop showering when you see water retention on the tiled joints. Wait no longer than 2 to 3 minutes. Note: Repeat the directions of steps 8a to 8c for all other areas that have not been showered with water.
- Use a leaf blower to remove any excess water remaining on the tiled crevices. This blowing action is necessary to help remove any remaining Gator Tile Sand residue left on tiled surfaces from the previous steps.
The water used in steps 8a to 8c will activate a bonding action as well as condensing Gator Tile Sand in the joints. It is important to water the Gator Tile Sand a total of 3 times, as per steps 8a, 8b and 8c. To little water will not properly activate the Gator Tile Sand and will reduce the final performance.
This warranty is given by the manufacturer of this product (hereafter “Manufacturer”). The Manufacturer cannot guarantee results, as it has no control over surface and sub-surface preparation and product application. Moreover, there is no warranty if the porcelain tiles are installed directly on bedding sand or concrete foundation. However, for a period of 15 years from purchase, the Manufacturer agrees, if the product is proven to be defective, and on the condition that it was installed pursuant to the method of application of surface and sub-surface preparation described above, to refund the purchase price of the Gator Tile polymeric sand. Proof of purchase is required for any claim.
Please Note: This Tile Sand warranty is only valid if used as part of the entire Gator Tile System. (When used together with all seven components, see installations instructions.)
Please Note: This limited warranty applies only when the product is used for residential purposes exclusively (home owners or contractors using the product for single or multi-unit dwellings that are exclusively for residential pedestrian use).